Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Reflection on Two Weeks of Homeschooling


A Reflection on Two Weeks of Homeschooling

It’s a lot of work.
Or at least it feels like it right now. But of course, the work is SO worth it, because I am preparing for my childs education. I am actively planning out what I will be doing with my son each day. This feels good. To be purposeful about our days- instead of just letting the days pass us by, and adding a few adventures along the way. And of course, once all the “work” is done there is lots of time to play. Like the wonderful moment of fort building on the Dyke this week. It was just one of those moments, those blessed moments that feel like a pure gift from God.

It is fun.
Interacting with my kids in new and different ways. Devotionals are now a structured routine, instead of something that happened when the morning rush was going somewhat smoothly. We sing together everyday, we get out for adventures everyday. I get to watch my kid learn new things. Witnessing that joy and be a part of that joy is a blessing.

It’s hard.
I have yet to figure out a balance between playing with the girls, and working with Theo. I have been so busy; trying to make sure that Theo is enjoying the beginnings of this adventure that I have mostly been putting him first and the girls second. Thankfully the girls play well together. Eva has not been as interested as I thought she would be in “school”. She would still rather do her own thing. She of course joins in when we do a science experiment etc. but is not so interested in sitting down and doing any math or printing. I have a lots of guilt about the huge loss of one on one time I have with Kezia. This something that I still need to work out. I miss my baby!

It is rewarding.
No matter how hard the day; no matter how many fights I am interrupting; no matter how many negative attitudes I encounter; I know that I am investing in my children. I know that I will never regret this time that I am spending with my kids.

The planning.
I’m not sure if it’s because I am a teacher and I am used to having yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily lesson plans; or if it may just be my personality, but I never feel organized enough. Week one I made sure to have at least one fun and interactive lesson a day. Week two I had acquired a few more resources and was able to develop a few more essential routines and units. I planned each day and had a shape of the day. This week, I am trying something new. I planned each subject (at least 5 lessons in a row). I will give Theo a bit more choice about the shape of each day, and have the week’s goals in mind to make sure we accomplish everything by the end of the week.

Overall.
I have felt both supported and pushed down. I have felt alone and like there was a troop of friends cheering me on. I have wondered, “what am I doing?” and “thank you God for guiding me down this path”. It is a journey a Team Schmidt journey and I am going to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment