Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Security Blankets

Do you have a security blanket?


There are several things in the world that I think give us security.

One perhaps might be our spouses. I definitely feel secure in my marriage, and I am thankful for that. I was smart enough to wrangle in an amazing man. I know that he would never leave me and the kids. Not because of who I am, but because of who he is. We are in the this relationship for the long haul. If and when issues may arise- we are on a "work it out" agenda for sure.


Perhaps our job, or our favorite tv show, maybe a nice bowl of homemade mac 'n cheese.

Another may be our homes. I don't know about you, but I was raised living in the same house for 20 years. That's a long time. I felt very secure there. When we moved, I moved with my parents so even though I lost the security of the house and neighbourhood I knew so well, I still had the comfort of my parents with me. I lived at home until I got married at age 23.
But getting married and moving out on my own was so exciting that it still felt secure in the first basement suite Jack and I lived in. We only lived there a short while, until we moved into my grandparents old apartment, which was also safe. After that we moved to where we are now. My parents basement suite. Security galore!

But now, as both Jack and I are finished with our University Degree's and moving on to the real world, the working world, we are opening the door to another move. We have said that we will move to what ever city or town Jack can get a permanent job. We aren't into commuting any more than like 10 minutes!
This makes me slightly excited for change. I look forward to living in a space that is above ground, where you look out the window and see people's faces instead of legs, where you see tree tops instead of trunks. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this suite. We have been MORE THAN BLESSED to be able to live here, so comfortably for so long.
But change is in the air. The future mostly uncertain. I am thankful to have a faith in God.It is nice to know that He is certain of where we will be, and I find comfort in that. Yet at the same time, as we look for jobs in many different cities, I feel as though a safety blanket is slowly being inched away from me and the draft is waking me up...

1 comment:

  1. As mothers I think we all crave security. Being able to raise our children in a safe home with regular healthy food, access to solid education (for both parents and children) is a right for all mothers but unfortunately there are few of us have that luxury called security.

    As a side note. I have never lived in the same house for longer than 4 years (1986-1990) and never lived in the same city for longer than 5 years (1990-1995). I have lived in 19 houses and 7 citys. I love the diversity and the opportunity that change brings.

    The best city that I have lived in is Prince George. You can go from one side of the city to another in 20 minutes, there are awesome resources for children and families. Cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, fishing, hiking all with in city limits. French immersion is garunteed for you child as is Montesorri, Traditional school, Fine arts as is Franco-Nord

    Check it out
    http://www.sd57.bc.ca/
    If you go to the "Make a Dream" in career opportunities, they are expecting vacancies in all grades next year.

    Plus the house next for us 2000+ sq ft (view of the city, big back yard, cul-de-sac, bsmt outside entrance will be listed for $350 in the next week)

    ReplyDelete